Arduino is an open-source single-board microcontroller that is very popular among designers, students, professionals, and tinkerers from all over the world. It is often used as a brain for many Internet-of-Things systems, wearable devices, and home automation projects.
There are many reasons why it has managed to gain such a huge following. Incidentally, the very same reasons also make it suitable for absolute beginners who are just starting out with programming and hardware prototyping. Here are a few of them:
- Arduino is very affordable. It is one of the most affordable microcontrollers on the market. Starter kits aimed at complete beginners can be purchased for around $50, and they include everything one might need to get started with many simple projects. Those who would like to spend more are also in luck. Compatible third-party boards often cost less than $10 and are well suited for people who already own a breadboard and a handful of basic electronic components.
- The IDE and drivers support all operating systems. Arduino development platform is supported on all major OSes that you might use: Windows, Mac, or Linux. Using the avr-gcc cross-platform toolchain, users can easily build their code on any operating system, as long as it is compatible with the target Arduino model.
- The initial setup takes just a few minutes. Arduino comes with easy-to-understand installation instructions for all major operating systems. All you need to do to start programming is to download the Arduino IDE, install appropriate drivers, and connect the Arduino board to your computer. The software itself is self-explanatory and lets you quickly run your first programs.
- There are many tutorials and guides available. With something as fun as Arduino, the best way to learn is to follow a hands-on step-by-step tutorial. Arduino has a huge user community to support newcomers. Sites like Instructables and Arduino feature a huge selection of projects suitable both for complete beginners as well as those with a little bit of experience under their belt.
- The platform offers incredible versatility. Arduino is more than a single board. It is an entire family of products, devices, and modules which can be used for everything from simple fun projects to prototyping of wearable devices, 3D printing, or design of Internet-connected devices. With such diversity of different form-factors, beginners are limited only by their imagination.
Simply put, Arduino is a fantastic platform that is continuously proven its use in educational setting and in professional applications. A good Arduino Starter Kit helps you in a great way to start your beautiful journey in the Arduino electronics world. This post has merely scratched the surface of the iceberg that makes Arduino the most suited platform for beginners. The best way how to experience exactly what makes it so popular is to try it yourself. All the best!