Write two functions in C using GCC compiler, one of which executes before main function and other executes after the main function.
GCC specific syntaxes :
1. __attribute__((constructor)) syntax : This particular GCC syntax, when used with a function, executes the same function at the startup of the program, i.e before main() function.
2. __attribute__((destructor)) syntax : This particular GCC syntax, when used with a function, executes the same function just before the program terminates through _exit, i.e after main() function.
The way constructors and destructors work is that the shared object file contains special sections (.ctors and .dtors on ELF) which contain references to the functions marked with the constructor and destructor attributes, respectively. When the library is loaded/unloaded, the dynamic loader program checks whether such sections exist, and if so, calls the functions referenced therein.
Few points regarding these are worth noting :
1. __attribute__((constructor)) runs when a shared library is loaded, typically during program startup.
2. __attribute__((destructor)) runs when the shared library is unloaded, typically at program exit.
3. The two parentheses are presumably to distinguish them from function calls.
4. __attribute__ is a GCC specific syntax;not a function or a macro.
Driver code :
I am called first I am in main I am called last
This article is contributed by Rishav Raj. If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above.
- Train a Support Vector Machine to recognize facial features in C++
- unordered_set operators in C++ STL
- Dividing a Large file into Separate Modules in C/C++, Java and Python
- How to delete a range of values from the List using Iterator
- How to create a List with Constructor in C++ STL
- C program to store Student records as Structures and Sort them by Name
- How to delete last element from a List in C++ STL
- Can C++ reference member be declared without being initialized with declaration?
- Finding Floor and Ceil of a Sorted Array using C++ STL
- Some useful C++ tricks for beginners in Competitive Programming
- Replace each node with its Surpasser Count in Linked List
- Comparison of Java with other programming languages
- Print multiples of Unit Digit of Given Number
- Similarities and Differences between Ruby and C language